Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Welcome to LOCAL DEMOCRACY MATTERS

Welcome to my new blog, 'Local Democracy Matters'. As its name implies, not only will I be discussing matters concerning the local level in Ireland but I will also be arguing that local democracy actually matters. We live in very challenging times for local government in Ireland and the 2014 'reform' act radically changes the structure of the system. The lack of debate around Minister Hogan's proposals has been shocking and I hope that this blog will at least provide a vehicle for discussion and comment. We are in danger of wiping out entirely what remains of local democracy in Ireland in a pursuit of centralised power. I believe that the centralisation of power is a dangerous thing. As Lord Acton famously proclaimed, 'Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.'

No comments:

Post a Comment